Week 4 – An Extension Of Last Week’s Progress
This week has mostly been working on last week’s flow-stopping mechanism and ideating how I can attach the device to faucets elegantly.
As for prototyping the flow-stopping mechanism, I’ve yet to 3D-print the device. This is due to my necessity to verify my initial faucet measurements before using filament. Initially, I just used a tape measure to get an approximate measurement, but at this stage in my design, accuracy is a necessity. Thus, I’ve reached out to a few contacts to get ahold of a caliper, which I will use to accurately measure the diameter of the faucet’s aerator (which is the part where the water exits).
Image via PlumbingSupply.
This is what a caliper looks like. Image via Traceable Products. As for attaching the device to my faucet, I’ve decided on adopting a similar method as to how current aerators attach to faucets. They attach in one of two ways: either with female or male threads. The style I will use on the initial prototype for my sink at home will be dependent on the faucet itself.
Image via PlumbingSupply. I’ve yet to discern the exact specifications for the threading of the faucet, so this is what I’ll be looking at in week 5. Join me next week to see what I figure out!