Week 7+8: Progress
I’ve been messing around with using dry ice to extract glandular trichomes and so far the results have been pretty promising! I looked at both mint leaves and the extractions under a SEM (scanning electron microscope) and I believe I am seeing the glandular trichomes (I’m not 100% sure since the image is pretty grainy and I’m not an expert at reading SEM).
I also ran my supposedly extracted glandular trichomes through the GC-MS and it detected limonene at a very low concentration, so I theoretically should’ve successfully extracted some glandular trichomes. I still need to work on yield and hopefully quantify the amount of protein I’ve got.