Week 6: Measuring The Mental And Social Status Of Teenage Gym Goers Part 2
What’s up everybody! Welcome Back!
I’m excited to announce that I’ve finally finished my survey on teenagers’ experiences at the gym. If you’re interested, you can take a look at it using this link, and feel free to fill it out as well! This week, I spoke with some of the teenagers who frequent the rec center gym, and I was pleased to find that many of them were willing to participate in my survey. I simply airdropped them the survey and provided assistance if needed. While I’m still waiting for more responses, the data I’ve collected so far is largely in line with my expectations. However, there were a few interesting responses that caught my attention. When asked how frequently they attend the gym, 40% of respondents chose 3 – 4 times a week, another 40% chose more than 5 times a week, and the remainder said either 1 – 2 times a week or 5 times a week. In terms of workout routines, most teens either followed a PPL (Push, Pull, Legs) regimen or a variation of it, while the rest dedicated each day to a certain muscle group. When asked about their reasons for going to the gym, 80% of respondents said they went to improve their physique, mentality, and community, while the other 20% went to improve their physique alone. Interestingly, all respondents reported positive changes in their moods before and after starting to go to the gym.
Regarding whether the gym has helped build a strong community, most respondents said yes, with a few answering “somewhat” or “not fully sure.” Lastly, when asked if they would recommend the gym to other teenagers, all respondents answered in the affirmative, citing the lack of downside to trying it out. Overall, this survey has been a fun process for me, with mostly expected results but a few surprises as well. It’s heartening to see that teenagers seem to have a positive experience at the gym, not just physically but also mentally and socially.
See you all next week for a new blog!