Robby DeMartino’s Week 6 Blog
The 6th week of my Senior Project was just as productive as the 5th week! I added a SIMBAD query (see last week’s blog post) to the Gaia code in order to identify each star by its Main ID. After that, I ended up just rewriting the Gaia code altogether. I changed the code such that it utilizes the radial velocity time series that are provided by Gaia in order to be able to analyze more detailed radial velocity data. In terms of modifications to the bash script, few changes were needed, but for the python program, a full rewrite was in order. This week, I also implemented multiprocessing into the python program which downloads and consolidates the NASA-provided data. This has significantly sped up the process of converting the 1071 .tbl files to a single .csv file.
Thank you so much for reading this blog post and if you have any questions, please leave a comment and I would be happy to do my best to answer it.