The first two BASIS Independent Schools campuses opened in 2014 in Brooklyn, NY and in San Jose, CA as tuition-based private schools. BASIS Independent Brooklyn (PreK–12) and BASIS Independent Silicon Valley (5–12) may have been our first independent schools, but BASIS Independent Schools were born from a tradition of excellence in education since the BASIS Curriculum was first developed in 1998. For the last decade, BASIS Curriculum Schools have been named consistently as the top academic programs in the country.
A Brief History of BASIS Curriculum Schools
What happens when best practices from top education systems in the world—places like Singapore, Finland, and Shanghai—are infused with the creativity and spirit that defines American education? That’s what BASIS Curriculum Schools co-founders sought to answer after Dr. Michael Block discovered that students in his university classroom who were educated abroad were more prepared to excel in their studies, and when his wife, Olga Block couldn’t find a high school program in the U.S. for her daughter that matched the content depth of her own education from Eastern Europe. In 1998, they opened their first school in Tucson, Arizona. Forty campuses and twenty-four thousand students later, BASIS Curriculum Schools is looked to as the gold standard in preparing students with the content knowledge, critical thinking, and creative problem solving skills needed to be successful in an increasingly complex world.
BASIS Independent Schools
Established fall 2014:
Established fall 2016:
- BASIS Independent Fremont (Transitional Kindergarten–Grade 5)
- BASIS Independent McLean (Age 2–Grade 12)
Established fall 2017:
- BASIS Independent Manhattan (PreK–Grade 12)
Established fall 2019:
- BASIS Independent Fremont Upper Campus (Grades 6-12)
Established fall 2021:
- BASIS Independent Brooklyn Lower Campus (PreK–Grade 2)
- BASIS Independent Manhattan Upper Campus (Grades 6–12)
Established fall 2022:
- BASIS Independent Bellevue Starting with Grades 2-7 (Expanding to Grades 5-12)
- BASIS Independent Silicon Valley Lower Campus (Transitional Kindergarten–Grade 5)
Would you like a BASIS Independent School in your neighborhood? Let us know.